A translation question

Sentinel76 Astrakhan thysentinel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 20 22:29:24 UTC 2012

I think "обломаться" might be closer.  "Облажаться" means simply "to fail," while "облом" implies things were running well prior to it.  On the other hand, "облом" is usually given by somebody else...

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 22:23:23 -0600
From: roman.ivashkiv at UALBERTA.CA
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] A translation question
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU

Just to elaborate on Andrea’s suggestion, a milder word is «облажаться». The noun «лажа», however, seems to be much more common than «лажун» or «лажатель», both of which may sound a little awkward.But it’s always a difficult call with slang. I’ll keep thinking about it.Roman   From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Andrea Gregovich