translating poetry, on a lighter note

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Sep 20 00:24:52 UTC 2012

In contemplating some recent issues of literary translation, a couplet
of my long-ago youth popped into my head:
John Greenleaf Whittier's "Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the
saddest are these--it might have been."  In my youth poetry was still a
popular art form in America; newspapers published verse every day, and
workingmen like my father memorized long "manly" poems--Robert Service,
etc.   This was not great poetry of course.  Anyway, I wondered how one
would translate "it might have been" into Russian poetic language.  If I
wanted to produce the thought in a normal conversation, I would just
say  Eto, mozhet byt', bylo by tak..., or some such.  But has Whittier
ever been translated?  Is there a more poetic construction?  (The
couplet in English does rise above a conventional spoken speech style,
in my opinion.)
Jules Levin
Los Angeles