Pushkin

Evgeny Steiner es9 at SOAS.AC.UK
Sat Sep 22 07:18:41 UTC 2012

Lewis,

Yes, of course, - the sources you mentioned are indispensable for any
genealogical search. But posting my query/musing on Seelangs I hoped to
elicit some new info on Pushkin, not on my half-mythic
great-great-great-grandpa.
However, something tells me that the interest to real life prototypes of
Pushkin personages have possibly died with the generation of Tsyavlovsky
and Tomashevsky. Shifted agendas, new paradigms...

Evgeny

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM, Lewis B. Sckolnick
<info at rectorpress.com>wrote:

> [...]
> Wills.
> Court records.
> I have found some interesting notes in land records and related materials.
> I do not see him mentioned in any out of print book for sale that used the
> Latin alphabet.
> Check Worldcat.
>
> Lewis
> The Ledge House
>

>  Dear Inessa, Alexandra, Lewis, and all,
>
>  Thank you for your interest and clarifications.
> Yes, Pushkin definitely mixed Romantic ideas (Gypsies, Bairon, Greek
> rebellion) and his own projected image in Aleko. My suggestion is that the
> real Greek refugee, Aleko Grekulov, who most probably took part in the
> insurrection of Alexander Ypsilanti and was a Phanariote Greek who settled
> in Kishinev in (or shortly before) 1821 COULD BE Pushkin's immediate
> trigger and source of material, if not inspiration. Not only he was Greek
> and a freedom fighter to ignite the interest, but, according to family
> legends, Aleko was a dashing young fellow with propensity towards risky
>  escapades. (Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post that he was a
> great-grandfather of my own grandfather, i.e. my direct ancestor.) Possibly
> it was not by chance that the house of kupets Naumov where Pushkin lived
> was bought later (in the end of the 1830s by this Aleko or his son.
>
>  Yes, it would be most interesting to scan the records of the local
> government or the gentry assembly. The Grekulovs were quite prominent in
> Kishinev: his descendant Alexander Grekulov was a chairman of the Russian
> party in 1917 and a historian of Bessarabia, Alexander's brother Efim was a
> historian (and rather notorious at that) of the Russian Orthodox church,
> etc....
>
>  Last year on my way from London to Moscow I made a stop in Kishinev and
> visited Pushkin Memorial museum. The administration was visibly impressed.
> They called me "the descendant" ("потомок") and asked to sign some petition
> to the city authorities. LOL.
>
>  All further insights are gratefully awaited.
>
>  Evgeny
>
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Lewis B. Sckolnick <info at rectorpress.com>wrote:
>
>> Is Pushkin calling himself Aleko before going south?
>> What records are there of Aleko in the local government.
>> Have any Bessarabian writers adopted him and or his name.
>> Is that name elsewhere in Russian literature.
>>
>> Lewis
>>

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I have a question about Pushkin and his possible sources. Some months
>>> ago I asked one American professor about this matter, and she recommended
>>> to inquire with three prominent Russian pushkinists. (All of them work in
>>> the West, and none of them cared to reply. Nomina sunt odiosa.) I hope the
>>> question might sparkle some interest here.
>>>
>>> A few years ago I found that a certain Aleko lived in Kishinev in the
>>> 1820s. His surname was Grekulov, and he was included in the book of Gentry
>>> families (Книга дворянских родов) of Bessarabia province under the year