Russian gender colours & forks

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Fri Sep 21 15:20:11 UTC 2012

In the dining room, I would call the eating surface "tines;" I think I
would use "prongs" to describe the functional part of a pitchfork or
carving knife. It might be the WASP in me that makes this distinction,
but my family has been American since the 17th century.

Melissa Smith

On 9/21/12 6:03 AM, John Dunn wrote:
> My wife, who is Scottish, call them tines, but I hadn't heard the word
before moving to Glasgow.  According to Chambers Dictionary the word
can also be used with reference to a harrow or a deer's horn.

> John Dunn.
[SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Simon Beattie
[Simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK]

-

Melissa T. Smith, Faculty Emerita
Department of Foreign Languages and