An unhappy rumor about Russian's critical language status: anyone out there know anything?

Katie Evans evan0280 at UMN.EDU
Mon Sep 24 18:34:59 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I can confirm that this is true with the foreign service. Russian is no
longer considered a critical language and therefore you don't not get any
additional bonus points for it.

Here's the updated listing of critical language information from the State
Department website:

*Beginning with the June 2012 FSOT cohort*, Generalist candidates can
receive .17 bonus points for all languages listed
here<http://careers.state.gov/media/pdfs/language-points-2012>(pdf) if
they pass the telephone language test at a speaking level 3 after
passing the Oral Assessment. Candidates testing in the eight languages
eligible for higher bonus points need only a level 2 speaking ability (as
measured on the telephone test) to obtain the .17 language bonus points.
Only the following eight languages are eligible for higher bonus points:
Arabic; Chinese (Mandarin); Hindi; Persian (Dari); Persian (Farsi); Pashto;
Urdu; and Korean.

I'm not sure about scholarships or other grant programs through the state
department.

Katie

--
Events Coordinator