An unhappy rumor about Russian's critical language status: anyone out there know anything?

Katie Evans evan0280 at UMN.EDU
Mon Sep 24 19:12:14 UTC 2012

The information about foreign language bonus points are on this page:
http://careers.state.gov/officer/selection-process#nogo

If you are proficient in Russian, you will still get bonus points, but not
as many as the 8 super-critical languages list. Previously, 'world
languages' got a .17 bonus point ranking and 'critical languages' got a .4.
Before June 2012, Russian was a critical language and you could get a .4
bump in your score for passing a language exam. Now it is worth a maximum
of .17.

I know this because I passed the foreign service officer exam and was
placed on the hiring list. I took the language exam in Hungarian and
passed, thus increasing my score by .17 points. I wanted to improve my
score to get higher on the list so I started studying Russian to get a .4
bump instead of .17, but then discovered in June that Russian was no longer
eligible for that point amount.

Katie