Instructional materials for a 9-year-old?

Linda Jean Speck aa3013 at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Apr 2 00:00:47 UTC 2013

Hello, SEELANGS --

I'm looking for instructional materials for an English-speaking child, age 9, whose parents have been told that their daughter's learning disability is such that she should not try to study a foreign language. This is a child of at least normal, maybe even fairly high, intelligence. Because of having Russian neighbors across the street, she has asked to learn Russian. Her parents think she can't be successful. I suspect that her high motivation, plus her good ear for music (I was her music teacher for a year), plus the right instructional materials, will give her the opportunity for a happy success.

Can anyone direct me to some worthwhile materials? I have Pimsleur myself; I think its orientation toward adult social and business situations may rule it out. I imagine Little Pim's orientation toward very little children will also rule out that option.

With many thanks for any help you can offer --

Linda Speck