doreshal: see =?UTF-8?Q?=D0=A8=D0=BC=D0=B5=D0=BB=D0=B5=D0=B2's_?=article:

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Apr 25 02:57:12 UTC 2013

Liza and all,

What Shmelev is talking about is that one finds ways of making a verb
imperfective if one is talking about present.

Whether it's разговорный язык or not, used according to
the Academy grammar or not, every verb is aspectually perfective or
imperfective in a given context. Even bi-aspectual verbs are either
perfective or imperfective in a given context. That was the case of
отвечать in 19th century, for example, and
арестовать, until арестовывать became common.

There are some empirical ways of approaching Frank's sentence:

> 1. Таки старый Абрам дорешал все свои
> еврейские вопросы,—но есть вопросы,
> которые можно решать только с
> привлечением людей другой
> национальности.

1. Is Abram in the process of finishing solving the problems? I think
not.

2. Is Abram repetitively finishing solving the problems? I think not.

3. Is Abram done solving problems? Таки да done. Done, finished,
hence perfective.

Now,

> Вопрос невозможно дорешать perfective,
> только задачу можно дорешать!.

Why is that so? You can решить вопрос just as well as
решить задачу. Дорешать anything is not the height
of elegance, as attested by a total absence in Ruscorpora (unless I
missed some forms, please forgive me).

> Говорим ли мы: Я приеду и "дорешаю"
> этот вопрос? ??

Most of us don't but Putin just did in the context of future tense,
which is perfective.

>  Я дорешаю этот вопрос. Может быть,
> даже внесём какие-то дополнительные
> средства.

It's not a common usage, but he is not alone:

Давайте дорешаем вопрос с приглашением в гости))) (http
://koffein.clientomannia.ru/topics/30655)

What's more interesting to me at this point is the difference between
дорешим and дорешаем.

Alina
Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian