Summary List of Russian Films with American Content

Mark Schrad mark.schrad at VILLANOVA.EDU
Tue Aug 6 00:00:48 UTC 2013

Of course there's also Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" (based on the Anthony Burgess book), which I don't think has any Russian characters per se, but does utilize a lot of Russian slang in an argot called "Nadsat."

Also, in the much-lesser-known-movies category, there are the two different 1980s film adaptations (and a TV series) called "Whoops! Apocalypse" which have some slapstick depictions of Russians, most notably by Alexei Sayle, who also portrayed a variety of different Russian characters in the short-lived 1980s punk sitcom "The Young Ones."

See, for instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogHDw2q2e-Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifjPV3__KiA

Mark Lawrence Schrad

Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science
Villanova University
256 St. Augustine Center
800 Lancaster Ave.
Villanova, PA  19085-1699

http://www10.homepage.villanova.edu/mark.schrad
mark.schrad at villanova.edu

________________________________
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Benjamin Rifkin [rifkin at TCNJ.EDU]
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2013 3:41 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Summary List of Russian Films with American Content

Dear Colleagues:

I was unable to post the list to SEELANGs because it is too long.  SEELANGers had a lot to say on this topic!

I therefore created a website, hosted by my unit on campus, at this address:

http://hss.pages.tcnj.edu/american-films-with-russian-content/

When you access the information, if it is valuable to you, please copy the text and save it to your own files, as I will not be able to maintain this page on our school's website indefinitely.

I extend my sincere and profound thanks to all those who sent me suggestions, especially Helena Goscilo.

With best wishes,

Ben Rifkin
The College of New Jersey
------------------------------------------------------------------------- Use your web browser to search the archives, control your subscription options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/ -------------------------------------------------------------------------