Adoptees, Heritage Speakers, Dual Citizens, and Study Abroad

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Sat Aug 10 17:32:02 UTC 2013

Dear SEELANGERS,

There has been a recent surge in study abroad interest from heritage
speakers who emigrated from Russia during the 1990s and particularly from
those adopted from Russia by Americans during this time period. Very often,
these individuals are not aware that they are still considered Russian
citizens by Russia. This actually complicates study abroad to Russia.

Based on our recent experiences with several cases, we have compiled the
following web page to explain the situation for all those involved:
http://www.sras.org/guides_dual_citizens

We encourage professors of Russian, study abroad advisors, and others
working with students with this situation to please bring this to their
attention early in their college career. Their background is such that they
may already be considering a major in Russian and as such, study abroad in
Russia. They need to take steps to prepare for that now.

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
 <mailto:jwilson at sras.org> jwilson at sras.org