Resources for Russian first name diminutives

Steve Marder asured at VERIZON.NET
Sun Aug 11 13:19:12 UTC 2013

Brian,

One reference work which immediately comes to mind is the 1995 book "Словарь
русских личных имен" by A. N. Tikhonov, L. Z. Boyarinova, and A. G.
Ryzhkova, which lists not only Вова and Влад, but Вован and many, many other
diminutives for Владимир. As its title indicates, the book is a dictionary.
Main entries are given as full forms of the name but there is no index of
diminutives which reference the full forms, and so in order to find a
diminutive you need to go to the main headword entry. The Wiki article
mentioned by Gasan has quite a good listing at the end.

Steve Marder

Dear SEELANGers,

Does anyone know of a reference work, preferably in something like
dictionary format, that deals with the diminutive forms of Russian first
names? I need something that would tell me that Вова is a short form of
Владимир, and that Владимир has the short forms Вова, Влад, etc.

Sincerely,

Brian Hayden