Films set in Russian-American Community in NY

Laura Kline klinela at COMCAST.NET
Fri Aug 23 23:24:19 UTC 2013

There is a movie called "Weather is Good on Deribasovskaya, It Rains Again
on Brighton Beach."
Best,
Laura

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Dassia Posner
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 4:29 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Films set in Russian-American Community in NY

Dear Seelangers,
I wonder if any of you might be able to suggest films that are set, in whole
or in part, in the Russian-American community in New York?
I'm especially interested in Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach.  I'm trying
to provide a visual and cultural sense of these communities for actors in a
production at Steppenwolf Theatre Company for which I am the dramaturg.
Films can be either in Russian or in English.
Many thanks in advance.
All best,
Dassia
_____
Dassia N. Posner, Ph.D
Assistant Professor, Department of Theatre, Northwestern University