Portrait of a President

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 31 13:07:50 UTC 2013

In 2009, 2 very unflattering portraits  of our then Taoiseach (prime minister) mysteriously appeared in the National Gallery and were promptly removed by police.  Criminal proceedings were initiated citing incitement to hatred and offending decency.  It was widely believed that the removal of the paintings and the  police involvement were politically motivated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cowen_nude_portraits_controversy

 I'm not sure the Taoiseach necessarily sanctioned the action taken over the pictures; rather it was the political system as a whole flexing its muscle.  That particular government was felled by public opposition not long after the incident.  A perfect example of hubris!
 AM