Question about Mathematics from Zamiatin.

Sat Dec 7 22:07:04 UTC 2013

E Wayles Browne wrote:

> Right. And then a complex number (kompleksnoe chislo) is what you
> get when you add a normal sort of positive or negative number
> (technical term: a real number) to so-and-so many imaginary units
> (mnimix edinic).

Yes. So an "imaginary number" is a complex number whose real part is
zero, and a "real number" is a complex number whose imaginary part is
zero. Then we can see that all numbers are complex, but some of them
have zero real or imaginary parts. ;-)

> An irrational number (irracional'noe chislo) is a real number,
> nothing imaginary about it, but it's one that you can't express as a
> fraction (as a whole number divided by another whole number).

Actually, there's no reason an imaginary number can't also be
irrational. Consider the square root of negative pi, for example.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com