Question about Mathematics from Zamiatin.

Sasha Spektor xrenovo at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 7 20:09:14 UTC 2013

I don't think that he was mixed up.  He was an engineer, as some of you
mentioned and obviously knew what's what in math more than any of us,
Slavists.  I think here we have a clear case of the aesthetic law
triumphing over the mathematical ones.  Helena Goscilo's interpretation
seems correct to me -- in the context of the novel "irrational" is a very
important concept, "imaginary" is not.  The novel, to paraphrase Nabokov,
was written for normal people, not for mathematicians.