Translation Conversion

Wed Dec 11 21:59:08 UTC 2013

bela shayevich wrote:

> russian words X 1.2 = english words

In my experience, translating into English, the increase is more like
10-15% for lightly-edited translations; in certain subject areas or with
heavy editing, it can be as low as 5-10%. Legal texts tend to inflate
more, as much as 20%. But if I received a translation in a nonlegal
subject area with that much inflation, I'd wonder why and expect editing
to reduce it significantly.

However, I don't translate into Russian, so I can't say how much
decrease to expect; I would guess the decrease will be less than the
figures quoted above. Other things being equal, a translation in any
language will usually be longer than an equivalent text written
originally in that language, because even a perfect translator will have
to work harder to express culturally alien thoughts. In practice,
translators are not perfect and often try too hard to be too faithful to
the original phrasing.

The originator's estimate of 3,000 Russian words seems reasonable for 10
pages at 1.5-line spacing. If I were drafting in English and aiming for
that target, I'd write an extra 10% or so -- about 3,300-3,400 words --
unless I knew my translator was especially efficient or especially
laconic. A beginning translator might even produce 3,500 words of
Russian in response.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com