Help with a translation: коммерческий отдел

Joe Blades joeblades at NB.AIBN.COM
Tue Dec 24 13:49:06 UTC 2013

Domestic, ie local, product/produce is still a strong concept in Serbia whereas commercial is seen a premium for tourists/export and the like. Seems similar to this 1990 Russia discussion.

Joe Blades

.

-----Original Message-----
From:         anne marie devlin <anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM>
Sender:       "SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list" <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Date:         Tue, 24 Dec 2013 09:32:36
To: <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Help with a translation: коммерческий отдел

What about something like free trade or open market dept/vodka?
Best
Anne Marie

Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 06:16:28 +0000
From: kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU

Dear Andrea and all,
I can't conceive of a succinct translation that would actually convey the meaning to someone who does not already understand this system.  So yes, you need to add explanation somewhere, in an introduction, an endnote or by slipping it into the text.  Whichever way you choose, I would encourage you to explain it fully, as you have in your message.  There are a lot of readers who will find this kind of real-life background very interesting.
As for translation, "market dept" and "market vodka" might be possible - but you will, as I have said, need to expalain these terms.
All the best,
Robert