Help with a translation: коммерческий отдел

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Dec 25 22:24:25 UTC 2013

On 12/24/2013 1:32 AM, anne marie devlin wrote:
> What about something like free trade or open market dept/vodka?
> Best
> Anne Marie

What is the main significance for a Russian reader?  He already knows
about the system, so it seems to me the essential fact for him is that
one is paying more money than usual to get the vodka.  So why not call
it "premium vodka"--you are paying a premium to get it.
Of course, this is not an explanation of the whole system, but free
trade or open market vodka might actually imply a lower price to some
Western reader, suggesting competition.
Jules Levin
Los Angeles