Pussy Riot documentary

Steve Marder asured at VERIZON.NET
Sun Dec 29 02:07:03 UTC 2013

http://www.echo.msk.ru/blog/echomsk/1227596-echo/

=======================================

Could you, please, send the original, since I am curious which
Serebrennikov's words you translated as fucked, fuckoff, etc.

Also, out of curiosity - why didn't the organizers choose a different venue?
Why didn't they rent a privately-owned restaurant, concert hall, or movie
theater, instead of a state-sponsored theater? Surely, they could have even
built a marquee somewhere to hold this important event.

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 00:16:00 +0000, Sarah Hurst wrote:

> Here's my translation of a reply from the artistic director of the Gogol
> Theatre:
>
> Kirill Serebrennikov
> 5 hours ago near Moscow, Russia
> Even recently in all my interviews I asserted like a mantra: ³There¹s no
> censorship in the theatre, there¹s no censorship in the theatre, in the
> theatre there¹s no...² That¹s it, we¹re fucked, there¹s censorship in the
> theatre! Cynical, pointless and idiotic.
> Now any freedom, any desire to find sense, any desire to express oneself ­
> it¹s all stuck in the impenetrable gloom and hassle which has arrived, filled
> all the space around us and controls us. We thought that somewhere ­ in the
> theatre, in the ³trendy² cafes, at home, or at the computer ­ there was still
> a little free air. It¹s like climbing on top of a wardrobe in a flood and
> looking for salvation under the ceiling, where there¹s still some air. That¹s
> it! We¹re fucked! There¹s no air! The ³overwhelming majority² got the air. It
> ­ this majority ­ orders a government for itself, and the government orders
> the music to amuse and delight this majority.
> They¹ve banned us from holding the premiere of the film ³Pussy Riot: A Punk
> Prayer² and a meeting with Nadia Tolokonnikova and Masha Alyokhina. Maxim
> Pozdorovkin had flown in specially from New York. All the work of Irina
> Prokhorova, who was supposed to host the conversation, has been cancelled.
> After a whole day of tense negotiations a banning document arrived from the
> department of culture at my request, which signifies one thing: censorship in
> action. That¹s it, it¹s over! Who could be so afraid of a peaceful
> conversation between a few hundred audience members at the Gogol Centre and
> some young women who have been amnestied? Who could be so afraid of the
> premiere of a film that has received a pile of prizes and that can¹t tell us
> anything new either about the government or about ourselves, as it was made
> rather a long time ago? I don¹t get it...
> The premiere and the conversation won¹t happen.
> At the Moscow Art Theatre they¹d only just finished the prosecutor¹s checks on
> my play The Pillowman, when a whole series of letters and appeals appeared
> from ³outraged and offended² citizens about Kostya Bogomolov¹s play. They
> demand Tabakov¹s resignation. They demand ³a lawsuit², ³a ban², ³a closure²...
> And it¹s clear that this isn¹t just an increase in seasonal schizophrenia ­
> this is very real religious censorship. We¹re fucked! Welcome! We¹ve made it!
> Now the fanatics will tell us how to put on plays, what we can do and say on
> stage, and what we can¹t. Everyone knows what¹s happening at the Moscow Art
> Theatre, everyone reads the news. And where are all our professional
> societies? Why are you silent? Did you piss yourselves? Well done! Next time
> they¹ll come for you.
> And finally ­ an ethical Charter for the ³fuckoff² of cinematographers ­ who
> [...]
Galina S. Rylkova
Associate Professor of Russian
Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
256 Dauer Hall