Books, articles on Tolstoy's legacy?

George Kalbouss kalbouss at MAC.COM
Wed Feb 6 01:26:09 UTC 2013

Dear Katya,

	One of the most relevant examples of Tolstoy's legacy today is the Tolstoy Foundation,
founded in 1939 by his daughter Alexandra together with Russian emigres in the United States.
The Foundation has been instrumental in relocating thousands of immigrants escaping various
tyrannies,  initially from the USSR, but now from anywhere in the world.  As a child I remember
spending the summer of 1946 at its headquarters in Valley Cottage NY as it hosted hundreds of DP's relocating
to the United States after WWII.   Later, in 1980, as an adult, I helped relocate hundreds of Cubans who came
to the US during the Mariel Boatlift at Ft. McCoy, Wisconsin;  one of the agencies present finding sponsors was
the Tolstoy Foundation.

	A Google search will surface dozens of articles.  One of the more succinct ones for starters is:
http://nyack.patch.com/articles/tolstoy-foundation-serves-community-through-humanitarian-efforts-and-cultural-preservation.

George Kalbouss
Assoc.  Prof (Emeritus)
The Ohio State University