MA and PhD in Slavic Studies at The University of Illinois at Chicago

Colleen McQuillen cmcquill at UIC.EDU
Fri Feb 8 19:46:54 UTC 2013

The Department of Slavic and Baltic Languages and Literatures at UIC
is currently accepting applications for our MA and PhD programs in
Slavic Studies with concentrations in Polish Literature and Culture
and Russian Literature and Culture. The scholarly focus of our
nationally and internationally recognized faculty is twentieth-century
Slavic studies, making our Department an ideal place to pursue one’s
interest in Polish and Russian modern, post-modern and contemporary
literature and culture.

Faculty research includes the following areas:

•   Literary Modernism and Its Cultural Contexts

•   Verbal and Visual Avant-gardes

•   Twentieth-century Philosophical Approaches to Literature

•   Contemporary Literature

•   Comparative Literature

•   Translation Studies

•   Gender Studies

Our graduate program aims at providing students with the best
theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary for a creative
interpretation of culture. It encourages comparative study between
national traditions and interdisciplinary research across artistic
media. Our international student body brings a diverse array of
perspectives into the academic life of our Department and is able to
benefit from the many resources of Chicago’s large Slavic community.
We maintain close ties with other departments within the College of
Liberal Arts and Sciences in order to offer students the opportunity
to concentrate in Gender and Women’s Studies, Central and Eastern
European Studies, and Violence Studies.

Funding is available on a competitive basis. The Hejna Fund in Polish
Language and Literature provide an exceptional opportunity to
invigorate research in Polish culture and to maintain an ongoing
intellectual exchange with Poland.

To be considered for a teaching assistantship, candidates should
submit their applications by March 31. For more information, see the
department website at http://lcsl.las.uic.edu/slavic-baltic.
Admission requirements can be found at
http://www.uic.edu/gcat/LASLAVM.shtml.

--