Translation help

Fri Feb 8 23:03:09 UTC 2013

Charles E. Townsend wrote:

> Sarah Hurst's suggestion is fine, but I suppose it might sound a little
> more forceful (and you could retain the чтобы ... не, for what that's
> worth, which isn't much), if you used "that they not go/wave their legs,
> etc", which gives you a kind of English "negative subjunctive" which
> adds some modal emphasis.

As injunctions go, this subjunctive is pretty weak in English, not to
mention indirect/unclear and rather formal.

If you want more punch, you really have to recast the sentence with
"should not" or "must not" or "cannot" or some other explicit verb like
нельзя:

The main thing is they should/can/must not go into (the) church like
that... [in ascending order of force]

Or else you can punch up the главное:

It's essential/critical/crucial not to go into (the) church like that...

It would be offensive/a sin/immoral to go into (the) church like that...

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com