Help converting an old .pdf file with cyrillic text to a .doc

Andrea Gregovich agregovich at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 20 20:08:10 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

Has anyone successfully converted an older .pdf file of Russian text to a
.doc, or something that can be cut and pasted?  My translation process goes
so much faster if I can cut and paste words for searching on the internet,
and many of the stories in the book I'm working on aren't available
anywhere in a word processor-friendly format.  When I cut and paste from
this .pdf, the text comes through as the old familiar vowel gibberish (Äåä
îòâåòèë, etc.).  Google has a visual text recognition option that didn't
work, read it as gibberish again.  I've tried opening the .pdf file in my
word processor, which is Open Office, and it asks me to specify an ASCII
format, of which there are quite a few Cyrillic ones listed.  I've tried a
few of them and can keep trying more, but so far they too have come through
as a fouled up file that is not the text.  My Adobe Acrobat reader offers a
paid option to convert .pdf to .doc, but scuttlebut around the internet
suggests that I'll have the same problem with this and other converters.
If there is a software that is confirmed to work for this problem I would
consider buying it.

The author is remote and not terribly computer savvy, so I don't want to
ask him for a .doc file until I've exhausted all options.  Simpler requests
have confused him terribly in the past!

Thanks for your help!
Andrea Gregovich