Director Aleksei German has died

Benjamin Rifkin rifkin at TCNJ.EDU
Fri Feb 22 02:16:39 UTC 2013

Dear SEELANGers:

Alexei German, director of several important Russian films, including Proverka na dorogakh, 20 dnej bez vojny, Moi drug Ivan Lapshin, and Khrustalev, mashinu!, passed away today at the age of 74.  German also was a screenplay writer and actor in many other films.

I wrote my dissertation in part on the film Moi drug Ivan Lapshin and was lucky enough to interview him in New York in 1989 (ironically after trying to interview him in the USSR, only to find that he was in the States at the time).  I will forever be grateful for his generosity to me: the interview was profoundly important for my dissertation and the book that emerged from it.

Пусть земля будет ему пухом.

Ben Rifkin
The College of New Jersey