Study Abroad Options for HS students

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Fri Jan 11 23:37:39 UTC 2013

Hello!

I have a High School sophomore that I've been tutoring in Russian for the past year and a half.  Her Russian ability is very high and she is wanting to do a year-long exchange in either Russia or the Ukraine, but her parents do not have the resources to pay her way on one of the more established programs such as AFS.  I'm wondering:

1) if there are any recommended locally based programs that would accept HS students and potentially place them in a home stay and/or
2) if the idea of placing her with the family of a trusted friend or acquaintance as sort of a long term guest who'd study at a local school is at all feasible option?

Any advice on the topic of HS exchanges and visa issues surrounding them would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Emily Saunders