SEELANGS Digest - 13 Jan 2013 (#2013-26)

Sibelan Forrester sforres1 at SWARTHMORE.EDU
Mon Jan 14 13:28:42 UTC 2013

We have a Russian-American student (recently out of high school herself) who is a big fan of Leonid Gaidai's 1973 "Ivan Vasil'evich meniaet professiiu" - based on a play by Mikhail Bulgakov. It's antic and very funny (Ivan the Terrible shows up in Moscow after a dorky inventor creates a time machine), though the historical aspects give room to discuss things that aren't funny.

Sibelan Forrester

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Welsh" <welsh_business at VERIZON.NET>
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 7:55:11 AM
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] SEELANGS Digest - 13 Jan 2013 (#2013-26)

*Subject:* [SEELANGS] Russian Films Appropriate for High School Showing

If you aren't looking for new films (I see some older ones have been
suggested here by others), I think Mikhalkov's "12" is a knockout. It's
the same basic plot line as the 1950s Lumet film "Twelve Angry Men."

Susan Welsh
http://www.ssw-translation.com
Translator and editor, German-English and Russian-English
Leesburg, Virginia USA
Phone: 1-703-777-8927