Russian Films Appropriate for High School Showing

Boele, O.F. O.F.Boele at HUM.LEIDENUNIV.NL
Mon Jan 14 19:58:12 UTC 2013

Why not show them something that doesn't come even close to what they
are familiar with: Zviagintsev's "The Return" , for example, or
Shepitko's "The Ascent"? When I show these to high-school students, they
are always amazed that this sort of cinema exists (and both films make
for great discussions). And it's not like Tarkovsky...

Otto Boele
University of Leiden

________________________________

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Sentinel76 Astrakhan
Sent: maandag 14 januari 2013 13:16
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian Films Appropriate for High School
Showing

"Stilyagi" have some nudity and sex scenes, I wouldn't want to show it
in high school.  Plus, you have to know Russian rock music to appreciate
it, that's half of the movie's charm.

"Piter FM" is a better choice.  Or, if you want to go with the classics,
show "Neulovimye Mstiteli."  Very popular among high schoolers in
Russia.

Vadim
Project "Vysotsky in English"
www.vvinenglish.com