Svetlana Borisovna Stepanova

Jason Merrill merril25 at MSU.EDU
Thu Jul 4 14:24:03 UTC 2013

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our dear colleague Svetlana Borisovna Stepanova on June 29, 2013.  Svetlana began teaching at St. Petersburg University in 1988, where she was closely involved in the teaching and administration of the Russian as a foreign language program.  Svetlana taught in the Norwich Russian School in 1996 and 1997, and five years later came to the Middlebury College Kathryn Wasserman Davis School of Russian, where she taught until 2011.  Svetlana taught phonetics to students at all levels in the School of Russian and was loved not only for her expertise in phonetics, but also for her patience, smile, and warmth. Svetlana was the author of several textbooks and numerous articles.  We will miss her deeply.

Jason Merrill
Director of the Middlebury College Kathryn Wasserman Davis School of Russian