Teffi - "Rasputin"

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sat Jul 20 15:29:15 UTC 2013

Dear Mr Cleminson,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply to Anne Marie's questions.  But there are moments when you seem to forget that a translator has to understand not only individual words but also how they fit together.  So looking up фонарь in Dal' is a good start, but it doesn't really get one very far unless one can also make sense of зеркальное.  (Thank you, Steve Marder, for helpfully pointing out that зеркальное окно" = plate-glass window.)  Nevertheless, I think this still remains difficult.  Surely plate glass is for large shop windows, glass doors, not for small oriel windows?  Perhaps here it simply means that it is good quality glass, and that you can see very clearly through it?

Аnd the image of the sunset is still more complex.  A 'tsvetnoi karandash', surely, can be a coloured pencil or crayon.
Небо, еще без солнца, чуть-чуть розовело на востоке, и легкая, свинцовая дымка, точно растушеванный карандашный мазок на алой пропускной бумаге, обозначала место, откуда прорвутся лучи.
I had imagined, because this is the place where the sun's rays will burst through, that there would be some colour here. свинцовая, however, indicates the opposite.  So it seemed likely that there was something here that Anne Marie and I were failing to understand and I encouraged her to ask Seelangers about this passage.  One wouldn't normally, by the way, see "smudged pencil shading" on blotting paper.  Anne Marie, by the way, is translating this story - and I am helping a litle.

All the best,

Robert