Teffi - "Rasputin"

Sat Jul 20 21:12:53 UTC 2013

William Ryan wrote:

> Very similar except that an oriel window is a bay window on an upper
> floor and is supported on some kind of masonry bracket and may not
> have internal floor space, while a bay window strictly speaking
> should have internal floor space (a bay) and may be on the ground
> floor. And if a bay window is curved it may also be called bow
> window.

This may be technically correct, but in my experience in the United
States, bay windows often have no floor space. Instead, they have a
waist-high shelf amenable to plants or other decorations, or in some
cases to sitting. In one case, the owner had a trapezoidal cushion
custom-made for the purpose. At any rate, the main wall continues
straight across under the bay.

I've seen what you describe, but it's not the only possibility.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com