Kum

Olia Prokopenko oprokop at TEMPLE.EDU
Sat Jul 27 02:48:23 UTC 2013

"Gossip" for кумушка( Pl. кумушки) is good, but it does not suggest any
kinship implied in the Russian words "кум" and "кума".

Olia Prokopenko

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Muireann Maguire <
muireann.maguire at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for all the replies!
> I found this discussion very interesting. However... I've decided to solve
> my immediate problem by not translating 'kum' at all, and inserting an
> explanatory note instead. I do like some of the translation suggestions
> we've had here, and I can even see 'coz' working in a certain milieu, but
> not, alas, in the kind of society where my narrative is set. Hence my
> decision.
> 'Gossip' is of course wonderful - takes me back to Falstaffian English -
> but I imagine it would only work for 'kuma', not 'kum', as surely a man
> can't be a 'gossip' in this sense?
> Best wishes
> Muireann

Olia Prokopenko,
Instructor, Russian Program Coordinator and Adviser

Anderson Hall 551
FGIS, Temple University,
1114 W.Berks St.
Philadelphia, PA 19122