Kum

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Jul 27 16:25:32 UTC 2013

This is a completely different issue: He was introducing an entity
that did not exist in the target language. That's why so many culinary
items have foreign names (помидор, картофель,
апельсин, ditto in other language). One of course could claim
that kinship relationships vary from language to language (wujek vs.
stryj, and how do you translate Мой дядя самых
честных правил?). But here entities exist, only the
cognitive grid is different from language to language.

On Jul 27, 2013, at 10:49 AM, J P Maher wrote:

> When word for word translation proves difficult, try this apptoach.
> My friend John Bukacek [private communication] needed to translate
> the Japanese culinary term omochi, the name of a glutinous rice cake.
> His problem was that in America a product, also called “rice
> cake”. is marketed. But as the American product is a crispy
> confection,
> Bukacek avoided misleading American readers who knew no Japanese
> language or kitchen
> by retaining the Japanese word and providing a gloss.

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
WLC, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave.