Film Question - US and Russia in Each Other's Films

Chernetsky, Vitaly vchernetsky at KU.EDU
Wed Jul 31 17:33:29 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I am surprised that Harlow Robinson's book _Russians in Hollywood, Hollywood's Russians: Biography of an Image_ (2007), in which he discusses extensively the history of Hollywood's representations of Russians, has not yet been mentioned:

http://books.google.com/books?id=i2hxJrlSE0AC&lpg=PP1&dq=harlow%20robinson&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=harlow%20robinson&f=false

Best wishes,

Vitaly Chernetsky

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Fusso, Susanne [sfusso at WESLEYAN.EDU]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:04 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Film Question - US and Russia in Each Other's Films

You seem to be mainly interested in more recent films, but if you're interested in classic film, there are tons of Hollywood movies of the Golden Age that deal with Russians (starting with Ninotchka, I guess).  A place to start is with this post by Self-Styled Siren describing the "Shadows of Russia" festival that was on Turner Classic Movies a while ago:

http://selfstyledsiren.blogspot.com/2009/11/shadows-of-russia-tcm-lou-lumenick-and.html

I suppose that showing the students Marlene Dietrich in The Scarlet Empress would probably blow their minds to smithereens, though.

Susanne Fusso
Professor of Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
Wesleyan University
262 High Street
Middletown, CT  06459
860-685-3123