Film Question - US and Russia in Each Other's Films

Beth Holmgren beth.holmgren at DUKE.EDU
Wed Jul 31 17:53:13 UTC 2013

Ben -- Apart from the other references I emailed, I recommend you check out
Harlow Robinson's book RUSSIANS IN HOLLWYOOD

More pre-war suggestions and Hollywood's wartime efforts to represent the
Soviet front:

Comrade X attempts an odd Americanization of Ninotchka.  Brooklyn versus
Paris.
The Cossacks (silent film -- Olga Matich has a terrific article about this
and other Hollywood Russia connections in THE RUSSIAN REVIEW, April 2005)
Balalaika  (Nelson Eddy is the Cossack who must be revolutionized)
Tovarishch (with Claudette Colbert and Charles Boyer as Russian emigre
aristocrats reduced to working as servants)

Wartime

North Star (original screenplay by Lillian Hellman; she distanced herself
from the film after Sam Goldwyn and Lewis Milestone tinkered with the
already terrible script)
Song of Russia (an interestingly bad movie, later targeted during the
McCarthy hearings for its upbeat portrayal of Soviet society)
The Boy from Stalingrad
Three Russian Girls
Days of Glory (partisans saving Yasnaia Poliana -- first film of Gregory
Peck)

Some American films featured memorable Russian character actors as supposed
incarnations of Russian national character.  See

Mischa Auer in MY MAN GODFREY and YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU (prewar)
Leonid Kinskey in CASABLANCA (wartime)

All best,

Beth Holmgren
Duke University