What Butler Did - in Russian Literature

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Mon Jun 24 23:06:07 UTC 2013

Dear Muireann,

You should consult Maksim Shadurskii's book:
Шадурский М. И. Художественная модель мира в романах-утопиях С.Батлера
и О.Хаксли. Минск: Изд-во БГУ, 2008.

As far as I know Maksim does refer to Russian utopian narratives, too.
(Maksim has just had a PhD viva at Edinburgh (Department of English
Studies)). I hope he'll be able to help you with your enquiry.
If you wish, I could pass on your address and your question to him.

It might be useful to consult Leonid Geller's book on utopia in Russia:
http://rumagic.com/ru_zar/sci_philosophy/geller/0/

All best,
Sasha

Quoting Muireann Maguire <muireann.maguire at GOOGLEMAIL.COM> on Mon, 24
Jun 2013 15:07:52 -0500:

> Dear fellow SEELANGERS,
>
> I have been asked to discuss Samuel Butler's influence on Russian
> literature. This is not a topic on which I have any expertise, and I
> would be grateful if any of you could point me towards sources in
> this field - ideally, Russian writers, ideologues, scholars, or
> memoirists who acknowledge Butler's influence specifically. I should
> clarify that this is Butler the author of Erewhon and The Way of All
> Flesh, not the seventeenth-century author of Hudibras.
>
> With sincere thanks in advance,
>
> Muireann Maguire
>
> Research Fellow in Russian Literature, University of Oxford

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.