What Butler Did - in Russian Literature

Simon Beattie simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK
Fri Jun 28 09:05:19 UTC 2013

Dear Muireann,

If you haven't already, it may be worth contacting St John's College, Cambridge, which is just finishing a two-year Samuel Butler Project (http://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/samuel-butler-project).  The special collections librarian there, Kathryn McKee, may be able to give you some sources, or contacts to Butler scholars.

Best wishes,

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Muireann Maguire
Sent: 24 June 2013 21:08
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] What Butler Did - in Russian Literature

Dear fellow SEELANGERS,

I have been asked to discuss Samuel Butler's influence on Russian literature. This is not a topic on which I have any expertise, and I would be grateful if any of you could point me towards sources in this field - ideally, Russian writers, ideologues, scholars, or memoirists who acknowledge Butler's influence specifically. I should clarify that this is Butler the author of Erewhon and The Way of All Flesh, not the seventeenth-century author of Hudibras.

With sincere thanks in advance,

Muireann Maguire

Research Fellow in Russian Literature, University of Oxford