Russian keyboards

David Goldfarb davidagoldfarb at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 1 01:29:15 UTC 2013

As the only American who works in a Polish government office, I'm the only
person using the "standard" Polish keyboard that I've seen on ancient
Polish typewriters that probably date to the 1930s. Once I had an
intern--an American--who also used the national Polish keyboard, but I
don't think I know any Poles who use it, though I'm sure they must be out
there.  The Poles all use Polonized Windows or iOS with alt-keys to form
the diacritics.

Before computers, in many European countries, typing was considered
something of a specialized skill, appropriate only to professional typists
and people in certain professions, like journalism.  In Poland, when
computers became commonly available, I don't think many people had any
particular allegiance to the national typewriter keyboard.  As recently as
the early 1990s, when I started learning Russian, I didn't know many
Russians who could type, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are not such
purists about their national keyboard.
--
David A. Goldfarb
Curator of Literature and Humanities