Russian keyboards

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Wed May 1 06:21:35 UTC 2013

To get back to the original question.

I'm not sure which is most popular - but we have three of them that have
been mentioned on SEELANGS before listed in section 1 (top of the page)
here: http://www.sras.org/library

Perhaps try them, see which you (or a sampling of your students) like best,
and run with it.

Best,

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of David Goldfarb
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 5:29 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Russian keyboards

As the only American who works in a Polish government office, I'm the only
person using the "standard" Polish keyboard that I've seen on ancient Polish
typewriters that probably date to the 1930s. Once I had an intern--an
American--who also used the national Polish keyboard, but I don't think I
know any Poles who use it, though I'm sure they must be out there.  The
Poles all use Polonized Windows or iOS with alt-keys to form the diacritics.

Before computers, in many European countries, typing was considered
something of a specialized skill, appropriate only to professional typists
and people in certain professions, like journalism.  In Poland, when
computers became commonly available, I don't think many people had any
particular allegiance to the national typewriter keyboard.  As recently as
the early 1990s, when I started learning Russian, I didn't know many
Russians who could type, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are not such
purists about their national keyboard.

--
David A. Goldfarb
Curator of Literature and Humanities