Russian Acts of Kindness

Moss, Kevin M. moss at MIDDLEBURY.EDU
Mon May 6 00:32:26 UTC 2013

On May 5, 2013, at 5:30 PM, Rylkova,Galina S wrote:

Russian people enjoy the same amount of freedom (freedom of speech and expression) as any Americans do in the United States.

Seriously?

That must be why they are introducing a law to fine anyone who suggests that gay relationships are equivalent to straight relationships.

Because Lord knows Americans could never do that.

I'm sorry, but if anything is ill-informed it is this statement. I have heard of many people, especially in the LGBT community AND JOURNALISTS who are seriously talking about leaving because of the new laws. Most of MY Russian friends and relatives are appalled at the current situation, but perhaps we know completely different circles? Let's see what happens tomorrow.

There WAS variety in the 90s, but that was already ending in Putin's first term, and now it is simply absurd to talk about variety, unless you mean independent internet media.

I am increasingly reluctant to return. I was more eager to visit in the days of Brezhnev than I am with the new anti-American and anti-gay policies of Putin.

Kevin Moss
Middlebury College