Russian Acts of Kindness

Rylkova,Galina S grylkova at UFL.EDU
Mon May 6 01:17:20 UTC 2013

Dear Professor Moss,

I was not comparing my circle of friends to any other circle of
friends. I was offering my own informed opinion of someone who is fluent
in both languages (who can watch political debates, etc. for hours
non-stop in both languages), who lived in both countries for extended
periods of time and who also has analytical skills to analyze and
compare. And as someone who watches CNN, PBS, FOX and MSNBC coverages on
a daily basis (unlike most Russians that I know) I can competently
compare the variety being offered in both countries.

Yes, most of my Russian friends and relatives also believe that they
don't have freedom of speech and many other freedoms. But they don't
read American newspapers or watch American TV.

I also don't believe that current discussions of abortion and gay and
lesbian rights in America are very reassuring.

Galina Rylkova