Russian Acts of Kindness

Sarah Hurst sarahhurst at ALASKA.NET
Mon May 6 08:19:07 UTC 2013

Also, I want to add, people seemed out of touch with the rest of the world,
due to the absence of information. I spoke to several Arctic experts who
assured me that global warming wasn't man-made, but was just a natural cycle
caused most likely by increased solar activity. I know there are lots of
global warming skeptics in the U.S., but these are usually ordinary people
rather than scientists. There were only a few scientists who focused on the
Arctic; it wasn't seen as a very promising area for research as the Russian
government makes it very difficult for people to go there. I also heard a
lot of negative talk about gays (I was told homosexuality was a disease),
and ethnic minorities.

Sarah Hurst