Russian Acts of Kindness

Rylkova,Galina S grylkova at UFL.EDU
Mon May 6 11:40:39 UTC 2013

Dear Paul Gallagher,

Russian people (and intellectual in particular) have been traditionally
infinitely more critical of any political regime than their American
counterparts. In 2011-2012 Putin was accused of every possible failure
and crimes. For the most extreme summary see Masha Gessen's "The Man
Without a Face: The Unlikely Rise of Vladimir Putin" (2012). This book
was highly advertised through various blogs and was on sale in one
Moscow bookstore. Do you think that Putin (who had a meeting with Masha
Gessen after this book's publication) was unaware of its content?

Russian journalists have been working extremely hard to uncover the
truth and  often show extreme/unprecedented courage. Yet they think that
what they do is a mere fraction of what their American counterparts are
supposedly doing here. This phenomenon of living up to some non-existing
standards is explored (albeit very gently) in Todorovsky's film
"Stiliagi" (The Totalitarian Rock).

Yes, it is possible to match your list with Rush Limbaugh and other
critically-minded people.

You can meet such people at any Channel 1 (state, pro-Putin channel)
debates that are hosted by Vladimir Solov'ev twice a week on Thursdays
and Sundays: Vladimir Zhirinovsky, Aleksandr Prokhanov, Mikhail Veller,
Irina Khakamada, Leonid Gozman, Alexandr Pochinok, Dmitrii Gudkov,
Dmitrii Bykov, Aleksandr Dugin, to name but a few.

Marianna Maksimovskaia ("Nedelia s Mariannoi Maksimovskoi") can be your
match for Rachel Maddow.

Then there are Aleksei Venediktov ("Ekho Moskvy"), Yuliia Latynina
("Ekho Moskvy"), Kseniia Sobchak, Valeria Novodvorskaia, Vladimir
Pozner, Leonid Parfenov, and others who are not particularly kind to
Putin in their shows, broadcasts, articles, and blogs.

Anatolii Vasserman and Yegor Kholmogorov (show "Reaktsia Vassermana")
can likely serve as the Russian equivalent of Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh,
and Michele Buchmann

--
Galina S. Rylkova
Associate Professor of Russian