Aeroflot has become customer-oriented?

Walt Richmond richmond at OXY.EDU
Sun Nov 3 15:44:01 UTC 2013

LA-Istanbul via Turkish Air gets some clapping, but nothing like Aeroflot.

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of William Ryan
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2013 7:24 AM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Aeroflot has become customer-oriented?

My wife and I flew London to Vilnius on RyanAir a few weeks ago - much
clapping on landing in Vilnius, none on the return flight to London. I
heard it a couple of years ago on an Easyjet flight to Israel. My wife
flies fairly often to Moscow - clapping is still common on Aeroflot,
which is nowadays a good reliable carrier.  My daughter flew BA to China
two years ago - the Chinese clapped. A friend from Colombia says
clapping is common in South America. Try Googling "applauding landing" -
lots of hits - the practice can be found, or used to be found, almost
everywhere including the USA. I have never heard it personally in the UK
or on transatlantic flights or flights within western Europe. Tentative
conclusion - less to do with the airline than who is flying. Nice topic
for contemporary folklorists.
Will Ryan

On 03/11/2013 03:33, Alexei Bogdanov wrote:
> Let's not create another myth.  I grew up in an Aeroflot family (my mom
and dad worked for Aeroflot),
> flying around the Soviet Union all the time in the 70s.  There was no
clapping at landing but there were
> sweets all the time.   I first experienced that weird clapping at
landing when I flew from Moscow to Warsaw in 1989, and the plane was
Polish.