urgently seeking participants for two Russian learning studies

Kira Gor kiragor at UMD.EDU
Mon Nov 4 16:08:42 UTC 2013

Dear colleagues,

Please help me to spread the word about two research projects targeting second language learners and heritage speakers of Russian at the University of Maryland. We are looking for participants, and if you could pass this information along to your students (or former students) and encourage them to participate, I will be extremely grateful to you.
The projects involve online test batteries, and participants will complete the tasks on their own computers at a time and location convenient for them. The tasks in the batteries require only listening and reading, no speaking or writing, and will measure reaction times as well as accuracy. Students will be paid $40 for their participation, and the total time involvement is estimated at 3 hours. This will include an oral proficiency interview (OPI) with an ACTFL-certified tester. Students will receive OPI ratings as a bonus for participation.
Please find below the information about both studies that you can forward to your students. The studies are similar in structure, but one involves only second language learners at very high proficiency levels, and the other BOTH second language learners and heritage speakers at lower (intermediate/advanced) proficiency levels. In other words, students with at least 4 semesters of Russian or more are eligible, and we will place them in the appropriate study on a case-by-case basis.
We are recruiting participants "по крупицам", so any number of people you can reach will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,

Kira
=========
STUDY 1
=========

RUSSIAN

SPEAKERS and LEARNERS needed for LANGUAGE STUDY

 Do you speak Russian, either natively or as a learner? We are recruiting advanced learners and native speakers of Russian to participate in a language study. The goal of the project is to identify which aspects of Russian speakers at your proficiency level typically al-ready know, and which aspects they still have difficulty with.

For full participation, you will earn $40.

Learners will receive official proficiency scores with a certificate.

To participate, you must be:

·        An advanced learner (at least four semesters of post-high school foreign language study) of Russian and a native speaker of English

 OR

·        A native speaker of Russian (must be able to read in English)

For the study, you will be asked to take several tests looking at your language abilities. All tests will be remotely administered, meaning you can take them at a time and location of your convenience.

If you are interested in participating or if you would like more information, please send an email to russiantesting at gmail.com<mailto:russiantesting at gmail.com>, or call (607) 794-8767.

=========
STUDY 2
=========

RUSSIAN SPEAKERS NEEDED FOR A LANGUAGE STUDY

 If you are a Russian language learner OR a Heritage speaker of Russian (one or both parents speak Russian), we invite you to participate in our study.

 What would I have to do?

You will have to complete an online screening proficiency survey, fill out a language background questionnaire, complete several online computerized tasks, and take an oral proficiency interview. The total duration of the study is about 3 hours.

 How would I be compensated?

Participants receive a total of $40 for completing the study.

 How do I find out more?

You can contact us by phone – call or send a text message to (301) 906-0622 (Daria), or email us RussianTesting at gmail.com<mailto:RussianTesting at gmail.com> with questions and to sign up.

 This research is being conducted by Prof. Kira Gor, Second Language Acquisition, at the University of Maryland, College Park. If you have any questions about the research study itself, please contact: Kira Gor at kiragor at umd.edu<mailto:kiragor at umd.edu> . This research has been reviewed according to the University of Maryland, College Park IRB procedures for research involving human subjects. Your participation in this study is voluntary and confidential.

==========
Kira Gor
SLA Program
School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742

tel. 301-405-0185
fax 301-314-9752