help with history quotes & references?

Wim Coudenys Wim.Coudenys at ARTS.KULEUVEN.BE
Mon Nov 11 12:33:19 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I'm trying to identify two references to Nicolas I, but I can't find a contemporary source. Can anyone help me?

1) Nikolaj Palkin: everyone is saying that it is a nickname used for Nicolas, but the oldest reference/source is Tolstoj's short story from 1886. Any earlier reference? Herzen, possibly? Was is really used during Nicolas' lifetime?

2) There is a quote by Khomiakov, alegedly dating from the early days of Aleksandr II's reign, saying that 'В России хорошие и дурные правители чередуются через одного...". You can find it in Geller (Istorija rossijskoj imperii, chapter on Aleksandr I), who in turn refers to Ejdel'man's Revoljucija sverkhu v Rossii. And there the trail ends, as Ejdel'man can't be bothered with references. Who can help me out? Could this be a hoax?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dr Wim Coudenys
Lecturer in Russian History & Culture
Academic Coordinator for International Relations
Faculty of Arts
Language and Communication Studies
KU Leuven|Campus Antwerpen
Sint-Andriesstraat 2 | B-2000 Antwerpen | Belgium
tel. +32 (0)3 275 98 60 (intern 460)
mob. +32 (0)479 56 24 75

                        http://seelangs.wix.com/seelangs