(Putin Art) Russian economy

Robert Orr colkitto at ROGERS.COM
Mon Sep 2 22:42:19 UTC 2013

Ø  Provinces suffered a lot more. Empty shelves there was a norm. In mid-seventies we were not hungry

I had a glimpse of that in Minsk in 1977.  I found one of the best seafood shops I’ve seen in my life.  But I simply did not bother shopping for clothes, the less said about the bookstores (the English-language newspaper choice was the Morning Star, the daily World, and the Canadian Tribune) the better, and city ran out of beer at 1100 am on May Day.

Imagine my astonishment to hear someone from a small town outside Minsk saying : “so many goods in the shops!”