(Putin Art) Russian economy

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Sep 2 23:36:20 UTC 2013

On 9/2/2013 3:27 PM, Alina Israeli wrote:
> Yes, it was. However, there are several problems with this concept:
>
> 1. The whole country was working for the Military-Industrial Complex.
> The word was already coined by Eisenhower, we just did not know it in
> the Soviet Union. Everybody and his brother was working in the
> so-called почтовый ящик. Not the blue box that collects mail, but an
> organization whose name is secret. It helps GDP, no question about it.

Back in the 80's there was an American statistician whose name escapes
me who devised an ingenious method for getting at the truth of Soviet
production.  He assumed that at least some of the official statistics
were more or less accurate, and he decided to look at the numbers for
rolling stock and tonnage shipped.  He assumed that in principle, all
e.g. steel production had to move away from the factories, and using
this method he lowered the official figures of steel and other heavy
industrial production significantly.  He published a book that predicted
the economic collapse of the Soviet Union.
An emigre I talked to in Los Angeles said he thought there was a steady
worsening of food production from 1918.  He gave examples of food he
remembered getting in a provincial restaurant in 1945 (!!) that hadn't
been on menus for decades, I think he said oysters...  Hard to believe,
but who knows???  It was a strange country.
Jules Levin