Please pass along: semester program in Bhutan (Himalayas)

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Tue Sep 3 05:39:19 UTC 2013

Dear SEELANzhane colleagues:

Allow me to take advantage of your collective wisdom and contacts, for
something which is not directly related to Slavic studies -- but related to
study abroad.
I'm writing to make you aware of Wheaton's semester program in Bhutan, and
I ask that you pass on this info to any interested students you might know,
or to your colleagues working on Asia, or to sibling departments in Asian
Studies.
My own immediate connection is that I'll be serving as Wheaton resident
director in Bhutan this coming term, spring 2014.

Wheaton is the only U.S. college to have an academic program in Bhutan.
We first went only in the fall, now we also go for the spring semester.
The program is four years old, and we usually take a few students from
other colleges.
Students take four courses, one of which is a practicum or internship in an
area of their choice. They receive full academic credit for their semester,
through Wheaton. The language of instruction, as throughout all of Bhutan,
is English.
RTC (Royal Thimphu College) is our Bhutanese correspondent and host, and
was created several years ago to provide an American/Western style college
venue.
Below are a few useful sites for a general overview.
The deadline for applications for the spring is coming up in mid September.

http://wheatoncollege.edu/global/2010/09/02/royal-thimphu-college/
http://wheatoncollege.edu/quarterly/2013/03/26/beautiful-journey/
http://acadblogs.wheatoncollege.edu/bhutan2013/bhutan-iv/

If you know of anyone, student or faculty, who wants more details, please
have them contact me off-list, soon, at:
frosset at wheatoncollege.edu  OR rosset_francoise at wheatoncollege.edu

Thanks for your consideration,
Happy end of the Labor day week-end (soggy soggy up here! ...)

-FR

--
Françoise Rosset
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies