Pride and Prejudice

Simon Beattie simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK
Fri Sep 13 13:36:43 UTC 2013

What I find more interesting is just how long it took for Austen’s work to appear in Russian.  Of course, 19th-century Russian readers may well have read her novels in French or German translation, if they didn’t know English.

Simon

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Marian Schwartz
Sent: 13 September 2013 14:30
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Pride and Prejudice

Well said, Robert.

Thank you.

Marian

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Robert Chandler <kcf19 at dial.pipex.com<mailto:kcf19 at dial.pipex.com>> wrote:
Dear Subhash,

You write:
>  It is like pouring water from one cup to another and of different sizes: leading either to spills or to under-fill. Or it is like an act of making love in which only one of the parties feels consummated.
I wish I could understand why people so love to repeat this kind of statement.  Why does the need to trash the obviously essential art of translation seems to be so oddly widespread?  Should it really surprise us that a few people have failed to come up with an adequate translation of one of the most famous sentences of one of the greatest stylists in the English language?

All the best,

Robert

Robert Chandler, 42 Milson Road, London, W14 OLD

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Use your web browser to search the archives, control your subscription options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/ -------------------------------------------------------------------------