SEELANGS Digest - 12 Sep 2013 to 13 Sep 2013 (#2013-378)

Sat Sep 14 05:54:32 UTC 2013

subhash.jaireth at GMAIL.COM wrote:

> I am merely stating that the art of translation is hard and to look
> for perfect translation or to judge one translation against another
> isn't quite right. They serve different and valuable purpose. That's
> all. Translation however imperfect still provides a door to enter to
> another world.

I doubt that anyone here will argue with the point that translation is hard.

However, as in any field, it is reasonable for practitioners to debate
the merits of various approaches, techniques, and proposed solutions.
That's how the field develops into a high art. I find this discussion
valuable, and I hope no one here will deprive us of their valuable
insights either on this topic or on any future topic.

Your point that different solutions may be better suited to different
purposes is well taken. That doesn't mean that discussion -- or even
translation itself -- is pointless.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com